Friday, January 19, 2007

Couscous Jambalaya

I usually don't watch much TV. In fact, if it weren't for my husband, I wouldn't have a TV set at all. But he loves his remote and I love him so... Incidentally, I learned this recipe from Emeril's show. The texture of couscous reminds me of farofa, which I grew up eating and I miss so much here. The good amount of spices pleased my husband's palate and he asked for seconds, very unusual. Due to my diet restrictions I had to leave out the shrimp but even so it was absolutely decadent.
Emeril Lagasse's Couscous Jambalaya without shrimp
1 small chicken breast, boned, skinned and chopped
1 TB Emeril's Creole Seasoning
Olive oil
1/2 cup chopped andouille sausage
1 chopped onion
Choped green bell peppers
Chopped celery
2 TB minced garlic
2 peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups couscous
In a bowl, combine the chicken and Creole Seasoning. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large nonreactive skillet over high heat. Add the seasoned shrimp and chicken and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the andouille, onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic and stir-fry for one minute. Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaves, Worcestershire, hot sauce, stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, stir in the couscous, and turn off the heat. Cover the skillet and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and stir in the remaining olive oil. Serve immediately.

No comments: