Monday, January 29, 2007

Cabagge Thoran


Another recipe from my mother-in-law that I make quite often. There are two versions, one calls for freshly grated coconut, that has such a bad reputation these days that I only make it once in a while. This is simple. Actually, thorans can be made with all leafy vegetables like spinach, as well as finely sliced carrots, green beans, etc. The possibilities are endless. I, for instance, love to add green peas to it, my husband hates them, but as my Dad would say "to each, its own".

Cabbage Thoran

1 1/2 cup grated cabbage
1 onion, chopped
3 green chillies, chopped
1 inch piece ginger, grated
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds -
1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
1/2 tsp cumin or small pinch of the seeds, roasted
Salt to taste

Warm up the oil and drop the mustard seeds in. When they start to pop, add the curry leaves and add the onion and green chillies, stirring often until they start to brown. Add the ginger, turmeric, and cumin. Stir for 30 sec. Then, add cabbage and salt. Cook uncovered on a low flame, until done.

No comments: